Senior Engineer - Power Systems Operation & Planning - GE Energy Consulting
Company: LM Wind Power / GE
Posted on: January 21, 2023
Job Description SummaryEnergy Consulting, a part of GE Gas
Power, has offices in multiple countries and offers our global
clients (external & internal GE) a wide range of solutions across
the entire spectrum of power generation, delivery, and utilization.
Our Power Systems Engineering team utilizes their deep knowledge of
connected power grid planning, design, operation, and life-cycle
management, to offer customized solutions to our global clients.
Our Power Economics team offers analyses focused on the
understanding and the study of the financial and physical operation
of the electric power systems including generation and grid
planning, system optimization, asset valuation, competitive power
markets and energy policy implications. Over 700 entities worldwide
use our Concorda Suite of software tools to assess the economics,
performance, and reliability of interconnected power systems. We
also offer a full range of education courses through our Power
Systems Engineering Course.Job DescriptionAs a member of the Energy
Consulting Power System Engineering team, the Senior Engineer will
be an active contributor to the GE Power business initiatives
related to power systems and power electronics equipment and
- Perform technical analysis related to power electronic and
power systems control of renewable generation, battery energy
storage systems, large industrial drives and FACTS.
- Support customers with power systems engineering expertise;
including modeling, analysis, equipment design and specification,
and failure mode analysis.
- Create, modify and parametrize simulation models representing
products like wind turbines, solar inverters, battery storage.
- Evaluate grid code compliance and impact of renewable projects
in bulk power systems.
- Support continuous development of transmission and distribution
products associated to inverter- based resources (Wind, solar and
storage) for evolving codes and standards through participation in
industry standards groups and leading innovative approaches to
power system analysis.
- Perform power system transient studies, and detailed equipment
modeling using appropriate software tools.
- Develop technical understanding of electrical characteristics
of GE's power electronic generation and transmission products and
their integration to electrical grids.
- Effectively communicate results to both internal and external
customers by preparing detailed written reports or presentations
describing analyses performed, solutions developed, and customer
- Lead and organize small project teams, guiding the work of
individual contributors, ensuring high quality deliverables,
budget, and on-time project metrics are met.
- Enhance industry knowledge and present technical content in
regional forums and conferences; serve as a thought leader in
- Actively participate in a working environment where teamwork,
quality, customer service and innovation are prized.Required
- Master's Degree in electrical engineering or electric power
engineering with a minimum of 3 years of experience in the electric
power engineering field, in electric transmission system design, or
in other relevant engineering experience in the electric power
- Industry experience performing transient analysis using
simulation tools like ATP/EMTP, PSCAD/EMTDC and EMTP-RV and/or
steady state and dynamic analysis using large data base simulation
tools like PSS/E, PowerFactory, or PSLF.Desired Characteristics
- Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering, electric power
engineering, or related field of study with a minimum of 1 year of
experience in the electric power engineering field, in electric
transmission system design, or in other relevant engineering
experience in the electric power industry.
- Experience with the use and application of common programming
languages (e.g. Python, FORTRAN, C, C++ MATLAB).
- Industry reputation, prior IEEE/CIGRE published articles
related to practical power systems engineering topics,
participation in industry standards working groups.
- Experience creating and modifying dynamic user models in
simulation tools like PSS/E, PowerFactory and PSLF.
- Advanced experience in electromagnetic transient simulation
tools like ATP/EMTP, PSCAD/EMTDC and EMTP-RV.
- Advanced experience with dynamic and time-domain simulation
tools (e.g. FORTRAN programming of user-written "black box" models
in PSCAD, use of MATLAB or Python scripting to automate execution
and analysis of multiple simulations).
- Demonstrated application of complex mathematics and engineering
to real-world electric power system problems.Additional
InformationGE offers a great work environment, professional
development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE
is an - Employment decisions are made without regard to race,
color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability,
protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by
law.GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in
the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is
conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as
applicable). Relocation Assistance Provided: No#LI-Remote - This is
a remote position
Keywords: LM Wind Power / GE, Schenectady , Senior Engineer - Power Systems Operation & Planning - GE Energy Consulting, Professions , Schenectady, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!