Company: OWENS CORNING
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Purpose of the role:
The Safety Lead directs the development, implementation, and
evaluation of critical processes, programs, and procedures to
achieve goals, objectives, and continuous improvement related to
health and safety. The successful candidate must spend significant
time on the plant floor, engaging and coaching employees,
front-line leaders, maintenance, and contractors on a daily basis.
The Safety Lead will provide information and guidance for
activities relating to the site-wide safety objectives. This leader
must ensure that site goals align with relevant business unit and
corporate safety goals. The Safety Lead works in a team environment
to hold both the team and individuals accountable for
injury/illness prevention, regulatory compliance and asset
Reports to: This position reports directly to the Delmar Site
Environmental Health and Safety Leader.
The Safety Lead will:
- Assess the level of controls in the assigned site and develop
both a strategic vision and a prioritized tactical plan to reach
the target state
- Develop skills and grow capabilities in the assigned facility,
- Coach, mentor, and re-direct personnel in the plant in order to
develop Extraordinary Leaders
- Coach, mentor, and guide plant leadership from a safety
- Develop and implement training programs in a coordinated effort
with appropriate plant personnel
- Continually reinforce the company s stand on safety and always
recognize employee accomplishments and contributions
- Establish and accomplish aggressive personal, and facility
goals that align with division and Owens Corning corporate goals.
These goals must reflect our commitment to enhancing our safety
culture and achieving a world-class safety management process.
- Drive company-wide and BU EHS initiatives at the site.
- Lead safety training and workshops with site employees to
enhance skills and facilitate risk reduction
- Participate in the site capital planning and review process
including review of capital projects.
- Facilitate and lead safety design reviews for equipment/capital
projects and reviews for process/equipment changes and support and
drive the safety portion of the TPM process for the plant.
- Implement OC safety programs/standards and site-specific safety
programs designed to reduce employee injuries and illnesses and
improve site productivity. Analyze and assess safety trend data to
drive safety action planning and resource allocation for the site.
Ensure that occupational illnesses and injuries are immediately
reported, thoroughly investigated (root cause analysis) and
promptly addressed, consistent with corporate and BU standards and
- Drive ergonomics initiatives to reduce MSD illnesses/injuries.
- Implement wellness programs to meet site needs.
- Bachelors degree required. Degree in any field related to
EH&S, such as industrial hygiene, engineering, science or
equivalent is preferred.
- Professional certification preferred (CSP, for example)
- At least 3 years safety leadership experience required. Floor
experience is highly desired.
- Hands-on safety leadership experience in a manufacturing
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong working knowledge of health and safety regulations and
industrial hygiene protocols
- Ability to identify critical processes and system needs and
then implement appropriately prioritized action plans
- Ability to establish agreement and consensus with
- Ability to effectively engage primary employees
- Ability to promote a team environment and must be able to
initiate, lead and drive cross-functional team projects to
- Adept at delivering safety training
- Ability to integrate resources across the organization
- Highly ethical: Can be trusted to do only the "right thing" for
the employees, shareholders and others. Follows a balanced approach
without compromising integrity.
- Results-oriented: Energetic, resourceful, with a strong service
orientation and positive can-do attitude. Fully committed to the
job and to deliver outstanding work. Never satisfied with the
status quo, continually striving for excellence.
- Enjoys working hands-on
- Change agent: Able to anticipate risks and propose practical
plans to mitigate them. Appreciates safety organization s impact
and is able to convey how safety is an integral part of the Plant s
- Ability to travel 20-30%
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and construction materials
leader committed to building a sustainable future through material
innovation. Our three integrated businesses - Composites,
Insulation, and Roofing - provide durable, sustainable,
energy-efficient solutions that leverage our unique material
science, manufacturing, and market knowledge to help our customers
win and grow. We are global in scope, human in scale with
approximately 20,000 employees in 33 countries dedicated to
generating value for our customers and shareholders, and making a
difference in the communities where we work and live. Founded in
1938 and based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, Owens Corning posted 2021
sales of $8.5 billion. For more information, visit .
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: OWENS CORNING, Schenectady , Safety Lead, Other , Schenectady, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!