Direct Support Assistant
Company: State of New York
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Open Competitive Minimum Qualifications (Open to the Public)
* You must have a High School Diploma, GED or a Direct Support
Professional Certification from an accredited public or private
organization and a valid Driver's License.
* If you are not on the current eligible list for DSA, please
complete and mail a NYS-APP#4, 20-149
(http://www.cs.ny.gov/extdocs/pdf/20-149&20-150.pdf) to the
DDSOO(s) that you are interested in working at. The Human Resources
Staff at the DDSOO(s) you are interested in employment at will
contact you with information related to this job opportunity.
Or for Transfer Opportunity
* Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Direct
Support Assistant and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be in a
title deemed appropriate for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil
Service Law. To qualify for Section 70.1 transfer, you must have
one year of permanent service in a title approved for transfer by
the Department of Civil Service.
Duties Description PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Office for People With Developmental Disabilities priority is the
health and safety of the statewide 128,000 individuals with
developmental disabilities receiving agency's support. As a Direct
Support Assistant, you would help individuals with developmental
disabilities lead richer lives. Under supervision these positions
* Provide supports and services which involve advocating for.
* Encourage, guide and teach individuals in expressing personal
* Ensure community integration.
* Assist individuals with personal hygiene care, toileting, dining,
dressing, meal preparation, lifts and transfers.
* Help individuals to participate in games and recreational
* Coach and encourage individuals to develop daily living
* Provide a clean safe and comfortable environment.
* Work with other staff to carry out and record care plans.
* Administer medication in accordance with special
To learn more about what direct professionals do on the job every
day, go to; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnK4z3KAqtE
Additional Comments Please note:
* For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
* Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures.
If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your
* All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for
full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid
programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining
* If you are employed by state government you may be able to
receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on
Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made
under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a
qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit
* Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be
able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to
perform the essential functions of their positions with or without
reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they
need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD
Workforce and Talent Management Central Office at (518) 473-4785 or
Email at email@example.com to obtain information
and RA forms.
* OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the
Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that
an applicant for employment provide his or her current
compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as
the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with
compensation. If such information has been requested from you
before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee
Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As of 10/12/2021 all OPWDD employees must be vaccinated against
COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
Keywords: State of New York, Schenectady , Direct Support Assistant, Other , Schenectady, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!