Director Employee Relations
Company: Union College
Posted on: June 4, 2021
Union College is seeking a strategic, collaborative, and
service-oriented Director of Employee Relations, Learning &
Development (Director) to join the Human Resources team. Reporting
directly to the Interim Chief Human Resources Officer the Director
will lead employee relations, performance management, and learning
and development initiatives to support employees across Union
In this dynamic and exciting role, the incumbent will build and
maintain strong partnerships with college leaders of all levels to
ensure alignment of priorities and effective integration of
programs and services.
The Director will also need to be skillful at resolving highly
complex and/or sensitive employee relations issues. The Director
participates in investigating workplace complaints related to
claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and policy
violations. The Director is also responsible for proactively
counseling managers and supervisors on effective methods for
ensuring the development and maintenance of a work environment that
fosters inclusion and respect for individuals diverse backgrounds,
cultures and abilities.
The incumbent will also be responsible for creating and
implementing learning and development programs for employees across
all functions and working with managers to formulate and
communicate career path strategies. The Director will also oversee
Education and Experience
- 10+ years of experience in human resource/employee relations
with 5 years of experience directly managing complex employee
relations matters and investigations and building learning and
- Bachelors degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or
related field required with Masters degree from an accredited
institution in Human Resources, Organizational Development,
Business Administration or related field preferred.
- Professional experience in higher education preferred.
- Professional Human Resources certification (PHR/SPHR;
SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP) highly desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including
formal presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills of a collaborative nature.
- Experience in formulation and implementation of College
policies and long-range HR programs and plans.
- Significant experience with writing and communicating
- Skillful at resolving highly complex and/or sensitive employee
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to apply current federal,
state and local laws relating to Title VII, Title IX and employment
matters, including regulations or guidance issued by the Department
of Labor, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or other
- Builds and maintains strong partnerships with leaders to ensure
alignment of HR priorities and effective integration of programs
- Designs, implements and coordinates performance management
- Leads training relating to employee relations, HR related
compliance, and performance management issues.
- Creates and oversees performance management programs and
related training and systems.
- Provides analysis of legislation and regulations and makes
recommendations to Interim CHRO regarding policy and practice.
- Develops and maintains policies relating to all local, state
and federal employment laws and ensure policies remain up to date
and are easily accessible and properly administered.
- In collaboration with Title IX Coordinator and Director of
Equal Opportunity, ensures the timely completion of Unions response
to, and investigation of, complaints pursuant to
anti-discrimination laws and policies; including those involving
sexual harassment and sexual misconduct and including, but not
limited to, forms of protected class harassment and discrimination,
FMLA and ADA.
- Provides information and guidance to faculty and staff relating
to employee relations, performance matters, complaints or
Learning & Development
- Provides overall leadership and support in the development of
all College employees.
- Provides guidance to managers and employees on professional
- Researches, designs, develops and delivers in-person and
eLearning training courses and programs, including oversight of
state and federal compliance training.
- Builds career path model and strategy to provide an
understanding of career opportunities with the College.
- Conducts needs analyses and map plan to meet learning needs
- Performs professional and personal development services such as
coaching, mentoring, and performance consulting.
- Develops, initiates and maintains effective pipeline programs
for workforce retention, promotion and succession planning.
We offer exceptional benefits including, but not limited to the
- Generous Vacation, Sick and Personal Time
- Winter Recess Break in Addition to Paid Holidays
- Healthcare, Dental, and Vision Insurance (Flexible Spending and
Dependent Care Accounts)
- Free On-Campus Fitness Facility Access and Discounts for
On-Campus Wellness Programs
- Employee Scholarships toward Certifications, Seminars, Training
and Professional Development
- Pre and Post Tax participation in a 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Salary Continuation Program in the event of Disability
- Tuition Assistance Program for Employee, Spouse and/or
Note: All new hires of Union College are subject to a thorough
education, work experience, and criminal history background
Officially chartered in 1795, Union College is the fifth oldest
liberal arts college in the country. Located in the Capital
District of New York State, Union is a highly selective residential
and undergraduate college, home to 2,200 students and 220 faculty,
and offering 44 majors. Union was the first liberal arts college to
rethink the traditional liberal arts education and adopt an
engineering curriculum. That pioneering approach continues today
with an education that encourages students to work beyond the
limits of disciplinary boundaries, allowing them to think globally
and lead innovatively in a world where problem solving requires
breadth across humanities, arts, social sciences, science, and
Diversity at Union College
Union College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly
committed to student and workforce diversity. Increasing diversity
on campus is a critical priority for Union, one that is integral to
our mission of preparing students for a globally interconnected
world. Union provides a blend of intellectual, social and cultural
opportunities to facilitate the integrated academic, social and
personal development of a diverse community. We value and are
committed to a host of diverse populations and cultures including,
but not limited to, those based on race, religion, disability,
ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national
origin and veteran status. Union College is committed to providing
access and will provide reasonable accommodation in its application
process to individuals with disabilities that request such
Union College will not discriminate in the recruitment or
selection of faculty and employees, or in any other area of
employment, on the basis of age, sex, race, national origin,
religion, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression and veteran status. In this regard,
opportunities for advancement will be made available without bias.
The College is also subject to state and federal laws, supports
efforts to attract and retain fully qualified women and other
minority group members for faculty and other positions. Union
College will comply with the letter and intent of all State and
Federal laws and applicable orders pursuant to Equal Employment
Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
Keywords: Union College, Schenectady , Director Employee Relations, Other , Schenectady, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!