Company: GenCare Staffing Solutions
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Director of Nursing (DON) contributes to the actualization of
the philosophy and objectives for patient care services. He/she is
committed to maintaining the standards of practice of nursing and
is responsible for the direction, coordination and evaluation of
systems and delivery of care to Neonate, Pediatric, adolescent,
adult and/or elderly patient 24 hours daily. He/she is responsible
for all administration and coordination of fiscal, human and other
resources needed to provide patient care services within hospital.
The DON models service excellence. He/she participates in
performance improvement and research activities; maintains
professional practice standards; and demonstrates leadership and
management skills. The DON will also promote physician engagement
and will collaborate with physicians and other professionals on
policies, procedures, standards of care, and to facilitate optimal
patient and family centered care that meets or exceeds
institutional and all regulatory standards. .
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Education: New York State Registered Professional Nurse license and
Baccalaureate degree in nursing required.
Master of Science degree in nursing or related field required
American Nurses Credentialing Center Certification in Nursing
Administration or Advance Administration desired.
Experience: Minimum of 8-10 years management experience required
excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and
oral). Critical thinking and analytic skills necessary for problem
solving and clinical decision-making Work independently with
1) Systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of
nursing practice and nursing services in units assigned, analyzing
appropriate internal and external data and information to identify
opportunities in collaboration with stakeholders for improving
services and patient outcomes.
2) Evaluates her/his own performance based on professional practice
standards, relevant studies and regulations, and organizational
criteria identifying areas of strength, as well as areas for
3) Promotes integrating evidence-based knowledge into the
identification of best practice in the delivery of nursing care to
the appropriate population.
4) Promotes and monitors regulatory agency standards and customer
service expectations for the practice of all aspects of nursing
within all areas of responsibility.
5) Guides staff in Service Recovery assessment, education and
6) Identifies ways to enhance the patient experience and educates
staff on basic interactions with patients and families.
7) Ensures necessary staffing is provided for all shifts of
operation of the department by monitoring, evaluating, and
modifying staffing patterns utilizing national staffing guidelines
and departmental staffing plan. Collaborates with the nurse
manager, assistant nurse managers and nursing supervisors to
evaluate work schedules as needed to ensure adequate coverage on
8) Prepares, monitors, and adjusts annual departmental operating
and capital budget in conjunction with administration to assure
cost effective utilization of personnel, equipment, and supplies
while maintaining quality patient care.
9) Assist nurse managers in formulating and monitoring budgets to
assure overall patient services and organizational goals and
objectives are met. Assists Nurse Managers to monitor approved
budgets on a monthly basis, explaining variances.
10) Analyzes and evaluates nursing and related services to improve
quality of patient care and utilization of staff time. Monitors
productivity of all departments. Cultivates an atmosphere that
promotes recruitment, retention, and employee appreciation.
Promotes good employee relations. Establishes and maintains a
transformational climate in which can attain their maximum
potential in performance.
11) Contributes to the growth and development of staff through
mentorship relationship and formal and informal education
12) Remains current of advances in professional nursing practice
through review of pertinent literature, attendance of outside
educational programs and professional networking
13) Maintains active membership in a professional organization
14) Monitors, implements, and participates in continuous quality
improvement processes regarding topics pertinent to the department.
Communicates with various departments, Department directors, to
resolve operational problems and improve quality of services.
15) Promotes participation in patient care and strategic planning.
Initiates and supports planned change in philosophy, goals and
management of the department and hospital.
16) Develops and assists the Nurse Managers and the unit based
leadership team in identifying their individual leadership and
17) Develops own career plan and measures progress to that
18) Leads multiple hospital wide committees
19) Performas all other duties as required within the scope of
Minimum Years of Experience: 8
Sub Specialties: Nursing Manager/Director, Med-surg Adult
Keywords: GenCare Staffing Solutions, Schenectady , Director, Other , Schenectady, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!